Not Divorced and No Will? Bad Idea.

It seems to be more and more commonplace that married couples who want to part ways are failing to go forward with divorce proceedings or waiting for many years to start the divorce process. This inaction does not save money but creates potential future and costly problems especially for those who acquire assets from their parents’ or siblings’ or other family members’ estates in property division in eventual divorce, and for the “un-divorced” individuals’ estates themselves.

In Massachusetts the Probate laws have changed considerably with regard to “intestacy” where a person has passed on without a will. Now, the surviving spouse of a person who has died without a will have more of an interest than under prior law. For example, if the surviving spouse is the mother of all of the deceased person’s children, the mother will take all of the father’s estate even though the parties have been living separately for decades. For the father, this could have been avoided by having a Will.

Failing to obtain a divorce and failing to have a Will are not good options!

– Lillian LaRosa

  • Our Address

    LaRosa/Toland Law Offices
    2 Main Street, Suite 325
    Stoneham, MA 02180
    Phone: 781-933-1726
    Toll Free: 888-271-2550
    FAX: Call for FAX number
  • Associations & Memberships

Contacting this office by email does not establish an attorney-client relationship with this office. This email form is not secure: do send your Social Security number or other sensitive information by this form.

This website contains basic information on selected Massachusetts legal topics for informational purposes only. These pages are not to be taken as legal advice, and reviewing this website does not create an attorney-client relationship with our office. Because laws can be changed, and new court decisions change the meaning of laws already on the books, no publication about the law can ever be 100% current. Your legal needs are unique. Please consult an attorney before making decisions about your legal rights.